Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The inner workings of a nearly three year old...

Who knows what thought strings are being manipulated and interlinked in Elspeth’s head. She’s missing Josie [Adlard], whenever she has a moment she’s either talking to Josie on the phone or picking up Sarah’s car keys and driving to St Albans to see her – doesn’t bode well when she is actually able to drive [must remember in 14 years to keep my car keys in pocket – will we still be using keys?].

I walked into the lounge last night and before I caught her eye was able to eavesdrop on Elspeth in “conversation” with the nursery “Hello is that the nursery, would I be able to come when I’m three on June 7th to be with Josie?” I was stunned… I walked into the kitchen and told Sarah what I’d just heard, not only does she actually want to go to nursery [although I’m not sure whether she just thinks she’ll get to see Josie, or whether she genuinely wants to go], but she also knows precisely when her birthday is.

Sarah is planning to “release” Elspeth to nursery in September, I say release because I fear it will be difficult for Sarah, before then Elspeth may feel a little like a caged lion, and once out she may never look back.

Sarah has a fear that Elspeth will be the ringleader who manages to be yards away from danger when the scheme falls apart, she has that “butter wouldn’t melt in the mouth” face and the sweetest “innocent eyes”. Now which parent she takes after… well I’m not going to say who got in trouble the most at school [although that could be who got caught the most at school…]

She’s going to be a real handful when she starts to really answer back and argue.

No comments: