Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Continued amazement

Despite having had the pleasure of my daughter's presence on this planet for 887 days it amazes me how absolutely amazing the brain is, Elspeth's capacity for learning, vocabulary as well as emotions and all that other stuff is bewildering. At what point does our brain decide that there's enough information in there and it'll use what it has stored to date? I suppose if we can be bothered it keeps on absorbing, learning, I suppose the real question is what is it in us that makes us decide to abandon the grey matter?
I say this as this morning Elspeth came out with an absolute gem. I'd got up, leaving Sarah dozing, to my surprise Elspeth was also asleep, she'd been awake around 6.15 and I'd simply placed her duvet over her and tucked her in. I decided to be a little helpful and tidy up the garden implements, toys, tent, and paddling pool which were sat rotting in situ, strewn across the back garden.
I even filled up the bird feeder, the poor neglected birds had probably wondered if we ever would refill it- the last time being the visit of the Perkins family. I walked into the kitchen and there was my little girl in her PJ's and she politely asked me for some warm milk.... anyway cut to the chase, I sat and stole a cuddle from her on the sofa while she was in her post warm milk contentment, saying "hello gorgeous", to which she replied "I'm not gorgeous, I'm hooman"...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love those quiet cuddly moments - makes it all worth while