Friday, November 04, 2005

Habits and the lies we tell to ourselves

It's definately a habit and not an anomaly, this morning I woke with the alarm (first time for a while) which was moments before being prodded by a small hand... "wake up Daddy" were the first words I heard this morning. I'm not sure whether this was an order or a request, suffice to say that she's more like her mum everyday... This morning there was no dilly dallying, Elspeth woke, got up, looked out of her window, saw an equally [insane] awake person walking their dog, and decided to get up...
Elspeth has the memory of a small elephant, I'd mentioned that I needed to shave this morning, so as I stumbled to the bathroom, to that which most men must on waking, she trailed in my wake saying she wanted to sit on the toilet to watch me shave.
Sarah was feigning sleep in the other room as I lathered up. As I shaved Elspeth declared that I was making lines on my face and that she definately didn't want a kiss from me with shaving cream on my face. Once shaved and clean she kindly pointed out that my hairs would grow back.
Last night the fireworks were popping and fizzing, Elspeth was sat on the sofa, when I suggested we go outside to see them, she retorted that she could see them fine from where she was, she tells tales like Bill Clinton, there was no way [m'lud] that she could see them from where she was sat. Almost got into a cross examination, but resisted the urge. Sometimes I wonder what having a lawyer father will do to my children...
Given the state of the diary, Sarah and I are going shopping tomorrow for Elspeth's Christmas presents - still we might beat the rush, and it will give me a chance to get something for Sarah's birthday on the 15th. I spoke to Elspeth about this the other day, she simply declared that we'd get mummy "something pretty" for her birthday....

No comments: