Monday, November 07, 2005

One of those days to forget

Well it started last night... Elspeth had been asleep for about an hour and a half when she woke screaming, having a bad dream. The dream so awful that daddy alone wasn't good enough, no sooner had mummy arrived then the whole street [well ok the road as far as we could see] were plunged into darkness by a power cut. As you can imagine, Elspeth was not impressed by this turn of events and so we opened the curtains [what good it did] to explain that there was simply a power cut, there was nothing we could do to turn the light back on. stumbling downstairs, we found the torch, a wind up job. I'm not sure whether it is faulty or if i simply need to sit for a few hours winding to charge it, but you have to keep winding to get illumination - no good if you're on your own and want light to be able to see to do something - great arm excercise though. Whilst I wound, Sarah clutched Elspeth and rooted around for the candles, we knew where they were, the difficulty was knowing where the matches were. After a few minutes a book of matches was found and the first candles were lit, much to Elspeth's relief, about 5 minutes later the lights returned.
It was at this point we discovered that my glasses were on the floor, in pieces, in the mad stampede to rescue Elspeth, they'd fallen off and in the dark had been trodden on. So I had a whole day of thumping headaches and not a glass of red wine passed my lips. The opticians say my new glasses will be ready on Friday, because my prescription has changed I need to go for a contact lens fitting tomorrow.... and I just thought they came out of the packet and you stuck them on your eyeball.... Obviously there's something more to this than my simplistic approach.

No comments: